Spread by Amount is an out-of-the-box Rule that App users can run without any extra configuration. Spread by Amount works on the leaf-level cells of your Forms, enabling you to either add/subtract an amount to existing values or set a new total for selected cells. This article will show you how to use this Rule.
Let's say you need to increase the budget for General and Administration expenses for January-April. You will add $10,000 to the budget, spreading it proportionally across the four months.
1. Select the cell(s) on which to run the Rule.
2. Right-click and select Spread by Amount.
3. Select a Method:
- Total Net Change Amount: Add/ subtract from the total value of the selected cells
- New Total Amount: Override the total value of the selected cells
4. (If multiple cells selected) Select how to Distribute to selected cells:
- Proportionally: Distribute the entered amount by each selected cell's proportion of the total value)
- Evenly: Distribute the entered amount in equal proportions to the selected cells
5. Enter a positive Amount to increase or a negative value to decrease the total value.
Tip: Current Total shows the sum of all the selected cells' values. New Total shows the sum of all the selected cells' values after applying the entered amount.
6. Select Run.
The pop-up window should automatically close when the Rule finishes running. Here is the result when we increase the values proportionally by 10,000:
Notice how all the totals for the year and individual months have changed accordingly.
Note: On-post Rules configured on this Dashboard Page will always trigger after the Adjust by Percent Rule runs.