Apps User Overview
Kepion is designed for easy data collection across the enterprise. You can access the APPs by selecting the APPS node from the navigation pane.
This guide will walk you through the various actions that users can perform from the perspective of an APP Contributor, Reviewer and Approver.
A workflow controls the process of an APP by specifying users, time-frame, and content. Users can perform common workflow actions on an APP such as submit, approve, and reject, based on their particular role.
You can view all APPs that are available to you from the APPS page.
There are two types of APPs.
- Dashboard APP: Created from a predefined dashboard. The tile can be customized by admins. We can tell in the image above, the top two are Dashboard APPs.
- Workbook APP: A group of predefined forms. The tile for the Workbook APP will always be the preview of the first form within the APP. We can tell in the image above, the bottom two are Workbook APPs.
Workflow User Types
There are three types of workflow users.
- Contributor: Contributors are the main group of workflow users who submit data updates via an APP. Use the HOME tab to view the apps where you are a contributor.
- Reviewer: Reviewers can review APP submissions from Contributors. Reviewers have the workflow action of Comment which allows them to provide their feedback during a workflow process. Use the reviewer tab to view the APPs that are available for review.
- Approver: Approvers are the final gate-keepers for any submitted APPs. Approvers have the ability to reject submitted APPs made by Contributors. Approvers also have the ability to approve any APPs as they see fit. Use the approver tab to locate available APP instances for approval.
Only users who are associated with a workflow will have access to the APP. When an APP is selected, all saved instances that have been created from this APP will be listed on the right pane. You can create a new APP instance from an APP by clicking the NEW icon, or you can continue to work with a saved APP instance by clicking on the right pane. Please note, if the APP has been configured by your administrator to allow only one APP instance, you will not be able to create a new instance if there is one that has been saved.
Use the ACTION filter to scope down the saved APP instances by the actions that you can perform on them. Click the icon to discard a saved APP.
Common User Usage
When creating a new APP instance, you will be taken to the APP starting page. Below is an example of the start page of a Workflow APP.
When continuing a saved APP instance, you will be taken to where you left off. Below is an example of continuing a saved Dashboard APP instance.
In a Workbook APP instance, the navigation is displayed on the bottom left. You can distinguish an input form from a report in the navigation by the INPUT icon .
Since dashboard APPs are fully customizable, you may find navigation in other styles and in different positions on the page. In the example below, the navigation resides on the top part of the page.
APP Control Buttons
APP actions are organized in the top right corner of the page in both Dashboard and Workbook APPs.
- System Information
- App Information
The REFRESH icon is located on the top right side in a Dashboard APP, but on the left side in the MAIN tab in a Workbook APP.
Click the REFRESH icon to refresh the data on all forms, reports, and charts with the current filter selection applied in the page. In a Workbook APP instance, when a form or report is in the process of being refreshed, you can choose to cancel the refresh process by clicking on the cancel action.
Click the System Information icon to view the record of events. This action is only available in a Workbook APP.
Click the PRINT icon to print the selected form. This action is only available in a Workbook APP.
Click the EXPORT TO EXCEL icon to export rendered forms to an Excel 2003 XML formatted file that can be saved to the local machine.
First select the forms you want to export, then click NEXT to validate if all the forms have been rendered or not.
The icons call out the forms that have not been rendered. If you want to export those forms, click Cancel and refresh those forms in the APP instance, then repeat the process above. Otherwise click Save to save the file.
Click the APP Information icon to see information relating to current APP instance, including the COMMENT and APPROVAL tab.
The COMMENT tab contains all the comments that users have added to the submission.
The following fields are displayed:
- Commenter: Who wrote the comment
- Comment: Comment content
- Action: What action the user performed when writing the comment
- Time: When the comment was written
The APPROVAL tab shows the approval chain for the current APP instance if the workflow type of the APP is set to Advanced.
The ACTION is a drop-down list of actions that you can perform on the APP. This list includes general actions, together with workflow actions, that are available to you based on your workflow role.
The general actions include:
- Save: Save all the formulas and filter selections to the server so that next time when you open the saved submission, you can continue from where you left off. If there is any data change in the input forms (marked by a blue triangle in the cell), the data will only be stored locally and will only be available to you unless you Post the data.
- Discard: Discard the current APP submission.
- Open: Open a saved APP submission, if there is any.
- Exit: Exit the current APP submission and go back to the APPS page.
The available workflow actions will be discussed in the Workflow Actions section in more detail.
In a Dashboard APP, these actions can be customized into any style you want. The image below is an example that uses an Update button for the Post action.