Administrators can monitor the progress of workflows. In this article, we will walk you through configuring and monitoring workflows.
Tip: For more information on the default roles in Kepion, please read System Security Roles.
Before you Start
Ensure that contributors have read/write access to the models used in the relevant Dashboard Apps.
Tip: For more information on how to grant these permissions, refer to Manage Data Security.
Add and Manage Workflow Configuration
1. Hover over Administrator and select your target Application.
For this example, we will select the Integrated Financial Planning Application.
2. Select a Dashboard App on the right-hand side of your screen.
3. In the Configuration tab, change the Workflow type from Basic to Advanced.
4. Select the User tab.
5. Select the Contributor, Reviewer, or Approver buttons to add a user or group to the role.
The roles have the following access:
- Contributors: The main group of workflow users who submit data updates via an App. Use the Apps tab to view the Apps you can contribute to.
- Reviewer: Reviewers can comment on submissions. Use the Review tab to view the Apps that are available for review.
- Approver: Approvers have the ability to approve or reject submitted Apps made by Contributors. Use the Approve tab to view submissions up for approval.
Tip: For more information on how to add each role, refer to the Administrator Overview.
6. When you have added the roles, navigate to the Approval tab and click Add.
7. Select the contributor that you want to configure in the Apply To list.
8. Drag and drop the approvers to create the approval chain.
Tip: The approval chain begins at the top and ends at the bottom. The submission will reach Alfonso Cruz and Mike Piazza only if Kimberly Haze has given approval. In turn, it will reach Lisa Fitzgerald for final approval only if Cruz and Piazza have both signed off on the submission.
9. Click OK to finish.
10. Save the changes made to the Dashboard App.
Sysadmins have the ability to impersonate custom users. Since Albert Rivers is a custom user, we can test the workflow by changing the user.
1. Click the username at the top-right corner of the screen.
2. Select Impersonate.
3. Select Custom from the Type drop-down and enter the contributor's name.
3. Click OK.
4. Go to the Apps module and select a Dashboard App.
5. Go to a page and enter data in one of your Forms.
6. Click the ACTION drop-down and select Post.
7. Click the ACTION drop-down again and select the Submit.
8. Configure submission as desired and click Next.
9. The next screen shows the Approval Workflow chain. Click Submit.
This will lead the user back to the Apps page. You should now see information regarding the new submission.
Approvers who are not sysadmins have limited options as far as monitoring the workflow progress.
To receive details about the submission:
1. Click the username in the top-right to switch to the Approver's account (in this case, it's Kimberly Haze).
2. Select Custom from the Type drop-down and enter the name of the Approver.
3. Click OK.
Note: If the account that you are logged in as is the Approver account, just click Revert.
4. Go to Apps > Approve to view the submission and its progress.
Approvers who are sysadmins have a number of options to monitor and alter the workflow progress.
1. Follow steps 1-3 from the non-sysadmin procedure.
2. Hover over Administrator and select the target Application.
3. Go to the target Dashboard App.
4. Select the Submission tab, where you can review the workflow progress of submissions.
You also have the following actions:
- Update Forms: Updates changes made in a Form's submission process. This is useful when there are multiple workflows happening at once. If a change in one workflow will affect another, it is recommended you try to update the Forms so other users know what changes have been made.
- Reset Workflow: Resets the approval process so its status is Not Started. This is helpful if a user has started their approval process but forgotten what changes they have made. Please note this does not undo any posted values. Any posted or submitted values are recorded in the Kepion Database.
- Email: Allows you to update the Email column. Select the submissions by clicking the checkbox near the Status column and then click the Email button.
- Sort: Sorts the submissions by columns such as Status, Owner, Submission, etc.