While the launch of the HTML5 Modeler this October will come with a host of new features, quality-of-life enhancements, a refreshed UI, and a massively overhauled and optimized backend, we wanted to remind all of our partners and customers that the Workbook App component, and a small chart selection feature, will no longer be supported.
Starting with their release in 2014, Dashboards have been the preferred component to build Kepion apps with, as their features wholly encapsulate the functionality of Workbooks. While Workbooks have been supported since then, all of the feature enhancement and development effort has been directed towards improving Dashboards.
For this reason, Workbook Apps were left out of the release of the HTML5 Administrator Module that launched last year. As Workbooks now remain a Silverlight-only component, they will be fully deprecated starting with the release of the HTML5 Modeler and the EOL of Silverlight in October 2021.
Conversion to Dashboards
Any existing Workbook Apps should be converted to Dashboard Apps before the end of October 2021. As the functionality of Workbooks is limited, the process to convert to a Dashboard is quite straightforward:
- Create a new Dashboard in the Modeler.
- Add a Dashboard page for each form in the Workbook.
- Add filters to the pages.
- (Optional) Style the Dashboard however you'd like!
- Create a new Dashboard App in the Administrator module.
Here's an example of a Dashboard designed to mimic the look and feel of a Workbook:
Tips & Tricks
1. You can access the Rule/Chart/Review tabs by enabling the Explorer in the Form Settings.
2. You can add a Menu Component to the bottom of the Dashboard for a classic Workbook feel.
3. The Full Screen form action can be added as a button to the Dashboard, which will cause the form and filters to fill the entire canvas, similar to a Workbook.
4. Dashboards support a huge amount of customization, so feel free to add improvements to your old Workbook designs. Our Modeler Guide and Video Tutorial series both provide a solid introduction to Dashboards, and we have an entire section devoted to them in our Knowledge Base.
As always, if you have any questions or need guidance on converting your Workbooks to Dashboards, feel free to submit a ticket through our Support Center.
The only feature to be deprecated with the release of the HTML5 Modeler is the ability to build a chart from a highlighted section of a form. Charts in HTML5 will always be based on the full form definition, as defined by the Layout, Row, and Column tabs.
Please sign in to leave a comment.